Google

Tales of Ganesha - A competition between brothers

One day, when Sage Narada was on his way to Kailash, he was accosted by Kundakamukhi, a yakshini (mythical beings of Hindu, Buddhist and Jain mythology). Narada was a sworn bachelor but the yakshini kept teasing him, "O sage, will you marry me?"

 

"Why do you want to marry me?" the sage responded with a mischievous smile. I've earned a lot of ill-fame as one who carries tales and causes quarrels between friends!"

 

"Ho! Ho!" the woman took it lightly. "For that matter, I'm also an adept at pitting friend against friend!"

 

At that moment, the two of them noticed Vighneswara and Kumara coming their way.

The brothers were in a playful mood and were walking hand in hand.

 

"Do you think you can make these two brothers quarrel with each other?" Narada challenged Kundakamukhi.

 

"Big deal!" remarked the yakshini, "Just you wait!" Saying so, she straight away jumped into a nearby pond and emerged as a golden lotus. Catching the attention of the two brothers, she said loudly, "I have blossomed for the sake of the sons of Parvati and Paramasiva".

 

"Let me have the golden lotus!"

Kumara, attracted by the lotus extended his hand to take it.

 

"You're younger to me, Kumara", said Vighneswara. Therefore, only I have the right over the lotus". He then tried to catch the lotus.

 

"I don't deny that you're elder to me, Ganesa", pleaded Kumara, "but please let me have the flower. After all, as the elder brother, you should be considerate to me. I'm taking the flower!"

 

But Vighneswara caught hold of Kumara's hand to prevent him from grabbing the golden lotus. Kumara raised the other hand to hit him but Ganesa but put his trunk around Kumara's waist and held him aloft. The two brothers who were so friendly just a moment ago had started quarrelling.

 

On seeing the scuffle between the brothers, Narada went up to them and said, "Why don't you two stop fighting and come to a settlement?"

 

When the brothers agreed, Narada came out with a suggestion. "Whoever goes round the universe and comes back first can claim the golden lotus".

 

http://www.chandamama.com/content/img/1206516886-1.gifKumara accepted the challenge and without wasting even a second, got on to his vahana, the peacock.

 

When Narada saw Vighneswara not making any attempt to stir out, he asked him, "Why are you still here? Don't you want to go round the universe?"

 

"O sage! He's fortunate. Poor me, I have to go about with my paunch and move on my mount, a mere mouse! How then can I go round the universe? Let my brother take the golden lotus".

 

By then Shiva and Parvati came there in search of their sons. Vighneswara went round them thrice and then smiled at Narada. While the sage was engaged in conversation with Shiva and Parvati, Kumara returned.

 

Vighneswara caught hold of his hand and said, "Brother, you look tired after the long journey. Though I've won in the contest, you deserve the golden lotus. Take it".

 

Kumara was surprised to hear that his elder brother had won the contest. " How was that possible?" he asked of Vighneswara, looking at Narada at the same time.

"Your brother went around your parents thrice. That is equal to travelling around the universe. So obviously he is the winner!" replied the sage.

 

When Narada declared the winner, they could all hear chanting from the skies: "Hail Vighneswara! He's the successful one!"

 

Kumara now realised the significance of what sage Narada had said. He prostrated before his elder brother and said, "I acquired divine knowledge after long and arduous meditation. But now I understand that you are the very source of all knowledge. I'm but a small atom in front of you, O Vighneswara! I shall now go to fight Tarakasura. Please bless me!"

Vighneswara hugged Kumara and said, "Banish all thoughts that I am big and you are small. You have been born to carry out a specific assignment. It was to achieve that objective that our parents married and you were born. It has already been ordained that you will be victorious over Tarakasura. You are Subrahmanya, dear brother. Go and come back victorious!"

 

Kumara then dressed himself as the army chief of the devas and proceeded for the battle.

Meanwhile Kubera, who was the overlord of all yakshis and yakshinis, pulled up Kundakamukhi. "What after all did you achieve by pitting brother against brother? You'll be born as a thorny shrub as a punishment for your mischief!" The yakshini became frightened that she would remain a thorny bush forever and so begged Kubera to forgive her. On her repeated pleading, Kubera told her that she could come out of the curse only when Vighneswara blessed her.

 

No comments:

Google