Google

Driving Topless in a Jeep

Today at the beginning of a business writing class, I asked attendees to introduce themselves by telling us something they enjoy. One woman announced:

 

"I enjoy driving around topless in my Jeep."

 

Was she serious? I stopped and stared, looking for hints from her. She gave no clue. After my awkward pause, I asked, "Did I hear you correctly?" She responded "Yes" and then explained:

 

"I enjoy driving around with the top down in my Jeep."

 

Ah. Now I understood. It was a case of a misplaced modifier: The Jeep was topless--not the woman.

 

Here is a topless revision, in the interests of propriety:

 

"I enjoy driving around in my topless Jeep."

 

Lesson: If you want to stop a conversation (and traffic), drive around topless. But if you want to communicate (and drive) safely, drive around in a topless Jeep.

 

No comments:

Google